Boy, I've been slacking. I realized last week that I've reached the age where I don't have enough mental energy to do everything I want to do to the fullest AND take care of myself. I've over-committed myself for the first time in my life, and in two weeks two of my activities will be complete. Two of the high school divers I coach qualified for the Virginia State Championship next Saturday. Coaching high school diving has all of the wonderful qualities of the sport without any of the negative stuff. The parents offer just the right kind of support and don't try to coach their kids. The kids put enough pressure on themselves that they want to do well but not so much that they cry if they lose or want to quit the sport if they don't have a good day. I've enjoyed every single minute of coaching high school diving, but I will be grateful that the season ends when I have three free evenings each week. I'll have freedom to stay at school late and create wonderful (or at least good) lesson plans and I'll feel better about walking into school in the morning well prepared.
The weekend following the final dive meet of the high school season I'm running my second/third marathon. My first was in Miami and my sort-of-second was at the end of Ironman, so I'm not sure if I should include it in my marathon list or my triathlon list. By keeping that up for negotiation I get to talk about my Ironman experience, which I truly enjoy. My second/third marathon will be in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where I hope it will not exceed 50 degrees. I've been training in 20-40 degree weather, so I'm concerned about overheating. Ideally the weather should be 35-40 for my 5-hour run, then skyrocket to 85 for the rest of my day on the beach.
I'm raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Please consider contributing to the cause in honor of my student, Jackie.
1 comment:
Welcome to my world. LOL
Actually, I do a pretty good job of not over tasking myself. However, my wife doesn't always agree. Good luck in the marathon.
Post a Comment