Thoughts from the Annapolis 10-Miler:
The only thing more motivational than getting paid to run is having paid to run. Frequently heard at the back of the pack: "We PAID to do this?"
These complainers have simply run out of things to talk about. Toward the end of the race for a back-of-the-packer the conversations are standard and the cheers always the same.
Spectator: "You're almost there."
Runner: smiles, says to her friend, "We are NOT almost there. Those people don't run. Must be nice to sit on the side with a cold drink, lounging in the shade. We have a MILE left. We are NOT almost there."
Spectator: "You look so strong, keep going! You're doing great!"
Runner: thinks, "I look sweaty, red-faced and ugly. I'm about to pass out and this jerk tells me I look strong? How dare they?"
I think race directors should post thought-provoking questions for the BOTP runners to discuss in their slogging to the finish line.
3 comments:
Excellent...I think that for every half mile there should be a SNL coffee chat type question...i.e. The thigh master is neither a thigh or a master. Discuss.
Or the water stop is neither water or a stop...discuss!
This is so funny! I always wonder what people around me and Maggie think when we chat away our miles.
I did appreciate the lady at mile 9.5 who said, one more big hill and you're done. I get sick of the people who say, "no more hills or you're almost there" when clearly there ARE more hills and more miles.
At the Nike Women's marathon they had people post why they are running the race and posted them all along the course, some of them were very moving.
You are awesome!
Hi Casey! I was out there at Annapolis looking for you, but sadly missed you. I wasn't registered for the race, but went out there with Carol, was going to run on my own (change of scenery) and cheer, but alas, I forgot my shoes! :-(
Hope all is well...
Post a Comment