I have to start by saying that I love what TNT does. I think they empower all sorts of people to do things they didn't think they could, and help people to be healthier. I've heard a few criticisms of the group over the past couple of years, mainly that they are mostly beginners who, with their overwhelming new sport knowledge enter races without any idea about courtesy for other racers, rules and safety. I assumed all beginners have issues with cycling running etiquette, and lane sharing techniques in the pool, but it didn't stick out to me at the triathlons (I always wondered if I was the one they were talking about...not so). I thought the bigwigs, the fasties, the elites, were the ones complaining, and with good reason. In what other sport do elites compete for money at the same time on the same course as beginners and novices? Imagine a guy in his homemade boxcar in a Nascar race. It's not on the same grand scale but it's similar. In a field of 2000 racers there are probably 15 to 20 people vying for placement. That means they have to navigate through an entire midwest town to get to the finish line, if the course is two loops. If I were fast I'd be concerned with the fat man on his mountain bike in the middle of the road, weaving while trying to eat his Snickers bar and take a swig of his Accelerade at maximum heart rate.
On to the point of my story. Today is one of the nicest days of 2007. I got up at 9:00, ate breakfast and fixed my inexpected flat tire (just under 4 minutes!) and headed out on my solo 30 mile ride, one of my favorite workouts. About 6 miles from my house the trail began to get congested and I knew I'd be in for a couple of miles of weaving before it cleared out past town again. Right in the middle of town the TNT marathon group had their headquarters set up and their identification method stood out right away. Lime green visors. Yuck. I reminisced about my triathlon beginnings with Team in Training and wondered if the marathon groups were larger than the triathlon groups. This group had more than 150 people spread out over 5 miles. They were running in both directions in groups of 3, They crossed the middle line and blocked the cyclists in both directions from passing. I ended up riding in the grass and on the gravel trail next to the paved one just so I could advance past the walkers and runners. I've never been one to comment on large groups of people exercising. I want every human to make the choice to play outside and breathe fresh air. This group needs to be managed and they need to be considerate of the others on the trail. Monopolozing the flat Vienna stretch will create animosity between the local exercisers and TNT.
No comments:
Post a Comment