Follow my journey from small-town triathlete turned NYC mom, turned nomadic homeschooling family of six.
10/23/07
Are you kidding me?
This morning during TA (teacher advisory period, homeroom) a father of one of my students came in to the classroom and presented to me the homework and classwork assignments from all the other 7th grade teacher's websites. He went on to explain that his son didn't understand the assignments he was given in class because I didn't update my blackboard site often enough and that I lacked the detail he needed to understand the expectations. Are you kidding me? I'm tempted to videotape a week of class periods and have a viewing session for the parents of the kids who'd rather pick their noses and draw pictures so they can fully understand why their child comes home without a clear understanding of the assignments. If a child is present in class and pays attention he will 'get' the assignment. Clearly the other 24 students in the class got it, since they turned in the work on time and got full credit for it. Are you kidding me? The child whose father paid me a visit this morning was given the opportunity to redo a lab report on which he had scored poorly. The assignment was to type the handwritten classwork and correct the errors. On the due date he handed me the very same report, handwritten, and I explained that I expected him to type it. This was clearly articulated on my website, which he claims to have read. I returned it to him and gave him one more day to type it. He returned after the weekend with one section typed and again, I returned it and told him I expected the entire report to be typed. This morning his father came to visit. Is there another way to say "TYPE THE LAB REPORT AND GIVE IT TO ME". Could I have been more clear? I'm open to suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat
1 comment:
Don't you just love how kids only give their parents half of the story every time. I'm writing report cards right now and just know that someone is going to freak out about their child getting a 2 (good) instead of a 1 (exceptional).
If we were any other kind of professional (doctors, lawyers, accountants), this would totally not happen to us.
Post a Comment