10/12/07

Diving

I coach a middle school dive team and we've just finished our 4th week of practice. Today was our first meet. Last year diving served as the typical 'half time show' during the swimming meets and very few kids participated. This year the sports are separated and the rules are up in the air regarding the number of participants, the required number and types of dives and the scoring system. Yesterday I ended practice by telling the girls they would all be in the meet (there are only 3 of them) and that I'd call the boys to let them know who would participate. After talking to the veteran county coach I called each male diver and told them they would all be able to dive. I was told that each school would have 3 scoring divers and the others would be exhibition, so their scores wouldn't count toward the final team score. While the divers were warming up on the board the coaches and county coordinator discussed rules and the coaches and I understood that the exhibition divers would dive before the meet started, since they only had two or three of the required dives. The two boys that dove exhibition are beginners and have learned front dives and back dives since the start of practice. They are both at practice every day with only the best outlook and attitude, willing to learn and eager to improve. Lawrence, in particular, has practiced his back dive at every chance. His point of pride in diving is his back dive and I couldn't wait to see if he could do one as well as he did in the warm up. He did a great front dive, beamed at his performance, relished the applause and got back in line to do his second dive, his back dive. The official told him he was finished and he explained that he hadn't done his second dive. She informed him that he was finished and he was only meant to do one dive. ONE DIVE! My heart bled for this boy. He didn't complain and didn't outwardly show his disappointment, but I could feel it. After the exhibition was finished he went to change his clothes and came back to the pool deck to cheer on the rest of his teammates. I stood by him and asked if he was happy with his performance. He had a hard time saying yes and I asked him if he was disappointed. He relaxed a bit, realizing I knew his secret. My heart is bleeding. What a stupid rule.

No comments:

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat