10/16/07

Graduate class #5

The theme for this class was differentiated learning. I mistakenly thought (for the past couple of years) that it had more to do with learning disabled kids than different learning styles. The school where I worked three years ago was sadly focused on troubled, failing, at-risk and students with learning disabilities, and the 'differentiating' in lesson plans was to include these learners in the discussions and activities. My lesson plans were handed in weekly to be approved, and included a section where I was to explain how my lessons included students with IEPs. I immediately recognized my misconception in reading Carol Ann Tomlinson's book, and realized that I am undercutting my students by giving them all the same assignments. I expect some students to move at a faster pace and usually give enough classwork so that the brighter students finish with a bit of time to spare and the slower students end up doing the rest of the work for homework (or with me at lunch, which is becoming a fun way to get to know my students better). In a way the next month is differentiated by the nature of the topic. I've started self-selected science projects, which means the students with deeper understanding of the scientific process are choosing projects that match their abilities, and I'm pushing the high achievers to increase the level of the research so they are challenged. The lower level students are choosing easier projects but will go through the same process of going through the steps of the scientific method.

No comments:

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat