I received an email with an uplifting video that urged viewers to send a letter of appreciation to someone who has had an influence in your life. Below is the letter I wrote to my 4th grade teacher, Ruth Norment. You can view the video and be inspired as well.
Dear Mrs. Norment,
I was one of your students in the mid-80's at Belvedere and have thought of you frequently since. You remain, to this day, my favorite and most influential teacher I've had in my 29 years. My family moved to North Carolina mid-way through the school year and you sent a letter shortly after. I still have that letter and read it once a year or so, to remember that there are teachers who truly care and make an impression that is carried throughout a lifetime. Long after the memories of lessons and facts faded I remembered your kindness and patience, and I thank you for being such an influence in my own career. I currently teach 6th grade science in Arlington, Virginia, where I try to impart the same patience and love on my students that you showed me and my classmates, and hundreds (thousands?) of students who have passed through your classroom door.
I was surprised and pleased to see that you're still teaching at Belvedere, and I hope you're having a fantastic school year. Happy Holidays!
1 comment:
My Favorite teacher was and will always be Dorothy Murfin , from Live Oak Morning School. She was the most wonderful teacher and made learning FUN for us all. Everything she taught would come to life ~ whether it be animals, math, science, presidents, etc. nd I have never forgotten her love and dedication to her students, not just me. This is the one time in life that my mom says I cried everyday to go to school. I wanted to learn and listen to Mrs. Dorothy as she taught us. She had to leave due to a paralyzed voal cord when I was 5, but her teaching and style and committment will never be forgotten or replaced. She deserves to win this award for the Best Teacher in the State of Georgia EVER! I am not looking forward to graduation and I have Mrs. Dorothy Murfin to thank for that accomplishment. Thank you Mrs. Murfin and God Bless You!!!!!!
Post a Comment