12/13/07

My computer ate my asssessment.

I spent the first 40 minutes after my last class writing their assessment for tomorrow. It wasn't difficult to do, only time-consuming. When I finished writing the quiz I tried to change the font to something 6th graders would enjoy, and the program crashed. Anger!! I restarted my computer, hoping the auto-save would reconcile my problem, but no. Is this my computer's way of telling me the quiz sucked? I should completely rethink the way I assess my students? I refuse. I'm going to write my quiz here, and you're welcome to send me your answers for a grade. The purpose is to have a permanent copy where my computer can't reach it. Enjoy.

Water Properties: Assessment

Identify which property of water is described in each sentence.

1. A water bug stands on the surface of a lake without sinking.

2. Colored water travels up a piece of cloth because polar molecules are attracted to the molecules in the cloth.

3. A wet toothpick attracts a drop of water on wax paper.

4. Food coloring quickly dissolves completely in water but not at all in oil.

5. A paper towel can pick up the water spilled on a desk.

6. Drops of water form a dome or rounded top when placed on a penny.



Review:

1. What percentage of water on the planet is fresh?

2. Where is most of the fresh water found?

3. List the 5 ways humans use water and give an example of each.

4. List the 7 water quality parameters and give the healthy result for each.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

ok here is my quiz: it was hard!!
1) surface tension
2) capillary action
3) adhesion – between the toothpick and the water, but none between the wax paper and water. Could capillary action also be at work here?
4) water is a strong solvent – universal solvent.
5) adhesion
6) surface tension - because there is no adhesion between the penny and the water.

Review:
1) fresh water: .02% (I think) and.
2) its found in rivers, lakes, and inland seas, but isn’t there some in the ice sheet in Antarctica?
3) 5 ways humans use water and examples:
a. farming/agriculture (irrigation is the main one).
b. Scientific standard – for pH, gram measurement, and I think the Kelvin temp scale. There is another one but cant remember it.
c. Drinking water: an example is my nalgene bottle☺
d. Solvent: everyday washing/cleaning, sewage system/other waste treatment systems (including natural ones).
e. Heat transfer fluid – like for nuclear power plants etc and normal stuff like cooling a drinkie.
f. Also used for putting out fires but I guess that can qualify as “heat transfer”.
g. And how could I forget swimming☺
4)7 water quality parameters and healthy result for each:
a. alkalinity
b. ammonia
c. CO2
d. chlorine
e. nitrates/nitrites
f. dissolved oxygen
g. pH
h. phosphates
i. temp
j. turbidity
i have no idea what the healthy results would be.

wow. glad you aren't my science teacher - or maybe if you were, i would get all the answers right:)

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat