Follow my journey from small-town triathlete turned NYC mom, turned nomadic homeschooling family of six.
2/10/08
Dog kite
I flew a dog kite today. My dog and I went out for our last long run before the Myrtle Beach marathon knowing it was windy. As I headed down the trail toward Georgetown a biker called, "You're in for a windy run!". In the two years I've been running on that trail I've never had someone warn me about weather conditions. I briefly considered turning back and running where I had a better chance of having the wind blocked. Every long run I've done in preparation for this race has begun by crossing the Potomac River, so I was determined to keep up with my trend. Yes, I am a bit superstitious. I'm sure I could have felt the bridge sway if I had the nerve to stop. I ran my fastest mile-segment ever, and wished there were a photographer to capture the "V-8 moment". We ran another 6 miles without event, and the warm sunshine along the C&O Canal was calming and almost spring-like. By the time I got back to the bridge I'd forgotten how miserable it was on the way over. About half way across I tried using my inner-peace-creating techniques I use when I'm in pain on long runs. That didn't cut it. I settled for running faster so I could finish with the bridge faster. The wind hit us at what felt like 90 mph and I may have imagined it, but I saw the dog's paws lift off the ground. I flew a 'dog kite'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat
No comments:
Post a Comment