2/26/08

Me-covery


Instead of recovery from my last marathon I'm doing ME-covery. I'm pampering myself. I've painted my toenails for the first time since November. I've cooked breakfast for myself. I stopped eating GU and drinking gatorade, giving my intestines and my insulin /glucagon balance to restore itself. One way I've treated myself is to take myself off the refined carbohydrates. I bought $160 worth of South Beach Diet food. I've been 90% committed to this 'detox' and I've found that around 1:30 each afternoon I crave the ice cream in the teacher break room freezer that literally has my name on it. I bought it for $1.99 on sale for a class of wonderful 6th graders as a Valentine's reward. Normally I don't reward children with candy or sweets, as I am a warrior in the fight against childhood obesity. This class, however, was only to be won over by chocolate and I feel no guilt for it. Most of these students probably don't get ice cream at home, so we're on solid footing with each other now. I've also been tempted by baskets of girl scout cookies all over the school. One thing that is now clear to me is that even when I avoid the 'problem' foods I still seek out something to eat at certain times. I'm never full. I'm rarely empty. I like cheese.

I'm still training for St. Anthony's Olympic distance triathlon, which is 9 weeks away. My me-covery is nearly done, but since I've been shunning carbs I cannot discern whether my lethargy during workouts is due to lack of glucose or need for more REcovery.

No comments:

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat