Follow my journey from small-town triathlete turned NYC mom, turned nomadic homeschooling family of six.
3/2/08
Thoughts on Facebook
So I broke down and joined another networking site. I get sucked into myspace and facebook and an hour goes by and although I feel like I'm being a bit social (something I need to do more of) I feel like I'm more of a voyeur. I don't interact with others as much as I check out photos and get a sense for how others live and where I fit on the spectrum of normal in this world. While I was running today I was thinking about an acquaintance from high school. Her name is Misty and I vaguely remember her being nice and saying hello in passing in the hallway. There may have been more to it than that but 14 years later my high school memories are a bit foggy. Misty and I became 'friends' on myspace when I first logged in, and we never exchanged messages or even pleasantries. I have several 'friends' on myspace and facebook whom I've not contacted other than to confirm the friendship and it weighs on me a bit, that I'm an irresponsible friend. Today it dawned on me that the now late 20's, early 30's crowd is rediscovering a bit of the high school hallway scene, but only in the best way. There are some popular kids who have lots of friends, and are the equivalent of the cheerleaders and display their pictures and scrapbooks proudly. I have my great friends with whom I stay in touch on a daily or weekly basis, and the others are people I would pass in the hallway, be friendly with in class and perhaps hang out with at the football games. There are those I was on sports teams with and I probably won't delve into their personal lives now any more than I did back then. It's comforting to be surrounded, even in cyberspace by people I grew up with and share similar experiences. When I'm on facebook it's like part of me has gone home again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat
No comments:
Post a Comment