I have hypothyroidism. That means that my thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone for my metabolism to function normally. I found out when I was 16, and since I was 19 my prescription hasn't changed (I'm 30 now). The 'medical laws' made by the 'medical policy makers' state that I must get my thyroid levels checked once every 6 months in order to be prescribed medication.
I am healthy according to any stretch of the imagination and have no other reason to visit a doctor. I prefer not to take up time that 'real' patients could be spending with doctors, but I MUST visit a doctor and get a lab order to get my blood drawn.
Having put off finding a primary care physician for two years, I've been visiting my family doctor 45 miles from my new abode. I called them today so they could order the lab tests and the receptionist told me I would have to visit the office or find a new doctor. She also explained that they could not prescribe the non-controlled-substance synthroid because they had not physically examined me in the past year. She ALSO explained that I could do without the medication for about two weeks before I started feeling serious effects. Goody!
Considering the office is not open on Saturdays, I chose to seek out a new doctor.
I was directed to the Virginia Medical Center, where there are 600 doctors, few of them family practice. I wandered, inquiring as to where I could find my new doctor. After an hour and a half of searching, I found an office in the far reaches of the labyrinth in the third building. After another half hour of waiting I spoke with a receptionist who scheduled me for a SATURDAY appointment. THIS Saturday. Unbelievable. My effort paid off. The woman even gave me a sample of thyroid medication so I wouldn't have to go without.
No comments:
Post a Comment