8/9/09

Vienna, Day 2

Sunday, Sunday.  Everything is closed except the tourist sights, so that is where everyone was today.  It was not fun simply because it was too crowded.  I visited the Imperial Apartments, the Haus der Musik (a music-oriented science museum!) which was tons of fun.  A guy from Lebanon went with me...met him on the street and then he got us in for free.  We spent nearly 4 hours there and I was glad when we shook hands outside the door and we went our separate ways.  It is one thing to meet friends in a strange city, but after 4 hours I am ready for my privacy again.  It reminded me of why I enjoy traveling alone!
 
At one point I just wanted to see the Danube River and took the U Bahn (metro) to what looked like the closest stop.  No one I asked could tell me a good place to get off there, and I could see why.  It's not really a place to visit unless you are looking to take a river cruise, which I was not, because of the cost.  I had decided to get off at a stop that had Donau (Danube) in the name, and ended up at a stop ON a bridge (cool!) that gave a nice view.  All was not lost after all! 
 
It gets better...
 
As I wandered around the shorline and looked at the closed restaurants and bars I stumbled upon a bridge leading to a tiny amusement park.  The bars there were open and I pondered a drink.  As I passed the Hawaiian-themed bar (right on the water with huge palm trees and covered private tables) it came into full view...the dock full of-
 
get ready for it-
 
A. DOCK. FULL. OF. TRAMPOLINES. 
 
Read it again:  A DOCK FULL OF TRAMPOLINES.
 
Forty of them.
 
And they weren't just trampolines.  They were STRING BED trampolines.  Eight minutes for two Euro.  I inquired about flips and the woman told me they were scary.  But...Can I do flips? I asked.  Yes. 
 
And boy, did I.  I have needed some upside down time for days now, and I finally got my fix.  Some people need a stiff drink.  I need a dock full of string bed trampolines in the Danube River.
 
I spoke with the woman working there and asked how many there are in Europe.  There are 7 in Austria, she told me, but she wasn't sure about the rest of Europe.  She asked how many there are in the U.S.  Ha!  I told her the short story of the sue-happy Americans and how sad we somersault-loving people are.  She surprised me when she said they are allowed to stay open because of HOW SAFE THEY ARE.  Hee hee. 
 
I have photos (more of the trampolines than of the Imperial Palace) but don't have a way to upload them yet.  There's a camera shop across the street where I will stop on my way to the Westbahnhof station for departure to Budapest. 
 
Groß Gut!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

wonderful wonderful
love that you are letting the wind take you and to trampolines no less : )
enjoy!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I wish we had found the trampolines when Scott and I were there two years ago! What a find!

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat