7/21/07

Philosophy of Education

I am not passionate about education yet. I can feel the energy course through my body when I think about being in the classroom, and I've tried to articulate that desire for a couple of years now. I'm enrolled in a master's program in Social Foundations in American Education and my first assignment in my summer course is to write a philosophy of education. I'm open to comments and suggestions.

My philosophy of education is that all people can progress and develop, whether they are talented and gifted or disabled, from a legacy of genius and riches or poverty stricken and hopeless. I believe that I can positively affect all people I meet, regardless of age, situation or ability. I believe that a positive attitude is the foundation of a successful academic career, and that my challenge as an educator is to strengthen the innate desire of humans to discover, to improve and to learn. My goal as an educator is to awaken curiosity and energy in a society that is spiraling toward sedentary lifestyles, disinterest in the natural world and in human connections. I believe that children in today’s society face globalization on a fantastic scale, and that our educators are faced with preparing students to live in a world where awareness of technology, ethics, fairness, environmentalism, human connection and the human condition. When I stand in front of a classroom I am less concerned with the immediate topic at hand, as the fundamentals of respect for all beings, a responsibility for the environment and a personal confidence to absorb information are more important to bettering our society.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Casey-This is the hardest assignment you ever have to write, whether at the beginning of a possible career or at any juncture thereafter. It is a good draft and I wish the best for your new experience. I wish an intelligent young lady was available for me to hire in a similar position. I lost two teachers this week and am scrambling to fill those positions. I'll revisit my "philosophy" statement and send it. Keep on keepin' on! You are so on your way to being the kind of role model our youth need.

RunSingTeach said...

This sounds like a philosophy to me. There are so many directions that we can take when defining who we are as educators. Also, our philosophy changes as time and environment change.

You are so right about what you say with regard to our children's needs in the face of global connectivity. It is unfortunate, however, that the American public school system is completely missing the boat on the need for building learning experiences that will empower students and in turn focuses on turning into robotic, disillusioned, and frankly, unprepared "citizens" who can write four sentence regurgitation and fill in a whole lot of bubbles.

I hope your new program inspires you, challenges you, and empowers you to put all of yourself into driving true education of our children. Creating valuable learning experiences that will enrich them and build them up. I have no doubt that you have the strength, courage, and ability to take up this charge.

Bon Chance mon ami!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Just do a well-researched and well-justified paper. It sounds bad to say this, but you can't develope a viable philosophy about something you haven't done yet. The philosophy paper I wrote in college is now meaningless now that I've spent nealry 8 years in the "trenches". I think mine was that I was going to a "perrenialist" or something like that. Good luck!

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat