12/18/07

Swimmin

I consider myself a decent swimmer with great determination to not stop if I'm not drowning. I have decent fitness in the pool and can counsel novices on technique. There's a guy who *attempts* to swim in the fastest lane with me and another guy who is also in decent swimming shape. This guy (we'll call him George, to protect his privacy) can swim about 35 yards without stopping. He spends the majority of the hour standing and breathing, then sprinting in attempts to save face (I guess). Then another 10 minutes of recovery. He claims "It's just a lack of endurance". REALLY? Maybe you could remedy that by SWIMMING MORE. Less talking. More swimming.


On a fun note, I'll be running with about 600 other Arlingtonians and Washingtonians (DCians?) tomorrow night in the annual Christmas Light Run, where we'll run between 4 and 5 miles through the streets of DC, singing carols at various points of interest, including the famed BLUE CHRISTMAS TREE. If you're interested in joining we'll meet at Union Station at 7:30. You don't have to be registered but you DO have to sing.

2 comments:

RunSingTeach said...

This swimming story reminds me of the guys from swimming last winter. They actually slapped fives after beating me in 25's.....

On a different note, totally want to do this Christmas Run next year.

WHen is your school out? Email me!!!

Meredith said...

lack of endurance, huh? maybe i crash your swim practice sometime and show him the meaning of "endurance." :)

"see, you are supposed to keep going...."

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat