6/24/08

New experiences

Tonight was my first summer diving meet since leaving my last post as head coach of a team where I gave my heart and soul for 10 years. I experienced a wide range of emotions, from frustration that no one has a clue how to do things MY WAY, which I'm finding was an integral part of my past coaching ego. I'm now learning how to fit into a diving world where I am unknown and unproven thus far. I don't have a track record and I'm having to do everything for the first time. It's a little scary to realize that every move I make is watched and scrutinized, and compared to the last coach.

Tonight during the first meet of the season I had chosen 6 of the best divers in the 10 and under category to compete. Over the past two weeks they have shown consistently safe and good dives. Unfortunately, 6 year olds have a tendency to be a bit inconsistent. Joey, my amazing little buddy, jumped straight up from the diving board and tilted his head back, rotating his body exactly 1/4 of a somersault and landed EXACTLY where he'd started. Translation: He landed flat on his back on the board. Because he was so tight and tiny he bounced off the board into the water, landing on his feet. He came up crying and yelling. It would have been an amazing trick if he hadn't been scratched in the process. His back was badly scraped and he got ice cream as an ointment. How exciting!!!

One more thing...next week I'm taking a motorcycle class. I'm very excited.

No comments:

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat