At least daily I'm reminded of my age. I don't pop out of bed and do a handstand or a flip the way I used to. Don't get me wrong, I still feel young and energetic, more so than most people my age (save the triathletes, but they're a different breed). Yesterday some of my divers were late for the second to last practice before the BIG meet of the season, and I wondered what could have kept these dedicated divers from being on time. I didn't mind because they're so focused once they start, so I didn't question their timing. During stretches I found out that they'd been to the creek behind the pool catching crayfish.
They also mentioned that they'd been in trouble with a parent because they'd gone too far under the bridge. They mentioned that if they had an adult with them they'd be able to go as far as they wanted. They asked me if I'd 'chaperone' and I had plans after practice yesterday, so I declined. Then I told them I could accompany them today after practice, and they cheered! What they didn't know was that I was as excited as they were.
So today after practice we grabbed some makeshift nets and a couple of pool skimmers (they thought I was brilliant) and walked to the edge of the parking lot. Three steps into the stream they looked back at me and were surprised that I was following them INTO the stream. They had never seen their parents do such a thing, and they were appalled that I had gotten my feet wet. Five steps later I put a pool skimmer next to a rock, turned the rock over and caught a medium-sized crayfish. The divers couldn't believe their eyes. They think I'm a crayfish goddess now.
These kids are on-the-ball students in school, and knew as much about the health and biology of the stream as I do (almost embarrassing) but I think I was able to show them that their interest in the creek wasn't just kids' play. They were able to find the courage to do things they otherwise wouldn't have done, and they said it was the best trip they've had thus far. I was honored to be invited, and I think I had as much fun as they did.
I may look like an adult...
No comments:
Post a Comment