I got accepted into the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Academy for secondary educators on a grant from the Department of Education. I'm at the University of Virginia for the entire week for FREE, and will receive graduate credits whilst playing with millions of dollars worth of equipment that allow me to see ATOMS.
Upon arrival last night I was unloading my suitcase and preparing to meet my new cohorts, when I came upon what looked like a woman resting her feet by propping herself up by her backpack. Upon closer inspection I realized she had bloodied her elbows and skinned her knees, and the several people surrounding her were all looking to each other for guidance. Apparently and ambulance had already been called and no one was sure what to do. The teacher, Cindy, had walked up the 20 or so steps to the entrance of the quad where our dorm was located, but failed to see the step down into the grassy area. She fell down the one step and landed all 300 diabetic pounds on her arms. With her bags attached to her back. She broke BOTH arms.
As the paramedics wheeled her away to the ambulance and she was telling them about all of her health problems and medications and surgeries. I realize there are circumstances that are not preventable that cause sickness, but ...SERIOUSLY! Take care of your body and you won't have these issues. I'm trying to be sympathetic, but ...SERIOUSLY.
Every teacher here this week, with the exception of two men, is nearly obese, and I ask for strength from whatever force created us and gave us intelligence to help me be sympathetic and understanding, but it's really difficult. I need to understand why all the women in the program choose to take the elevator up one floor, the equivalent of 12 stairs, and how they can possibly be examples for the children they teach. Perhaps they know more science than I do, but is that what's really going to affect the lives of students? Perhaps I'm judgmental, but I just don't get it.
No comments:
Post a Comment