8/4/09

Update from Munich

For starters, the keyboard is totally different here!  It's taken me five times as long to type these two sentences as it normally does.  I arrived at 10:15 AM and dropped my bags off at the hostel where I had a reservation.  The hostel is unlike all portrayals of hostels I've ever seen.  People are clean, the bathrooms are right in the room (which I'll share with 5 other women), there's a wonderful bar, hammocks to lounge in, an internet cafe and a cleaning service.  It's nearly full and the majority of people I have witnessed are smokers, but the rooms are non-smoking.

I wandered around the University section of town, which did not seem to house an actual university, but I ran in circles much of the day.  I'm not overly impressed with the buildings, churches and layout of the city, but I did find a great trail that provided some natural relief from the busy city.   This tells me I need to head for higher ground (literally...Austria?) where the sights are less human-made and there is more wildlife.

The dollar sucks.  I won't complain any more than that. 

The weather was perfect for a first day here!  It was about 65 degrees and overcast.  I actually got some sun, unexpectedly, but was chilly nearly all day.  I went to see some churches (I won't slaughter the names...don't have my book handy) and some markets.  I got lost in a nice part of town and ended up at a gigantic, ancient cemetary where I took tons of pictures.  Have not uploaded photos yet. 

I have a feeling I'll be heading out to more rural settings from now on, as this reminds me of DC with more produce.  It's nice, but it's still a city.  Tomorrow I will go to the Englischer Gartens and find the river.

I met a student from Togo who studies here and we had great conversation in French and English.  He helped me find some places I was seeking but was not a great tour guide.  I hope to link up with some people staying in the hostel to hang out with tomorrow.  After I send this I'll head to the happy hour.  My roommates are there now.

Not much to report yet.  I got myself acquainted with the city and will explore parts more tomorrow that struck my fancy.

Feeling slightly uncomfortable after being in a precise rhythm this summer, but assuming I'll feel different after a few days!

Casey

No comments:

CDA: complete!

CDA: complete!
15:42, sporting my finisher hat