I am in Salzburg, Austria, today. Everyone recommended the Sound of Music tour but I didn't think I could stomach it. I looked at photos in the hostel and figured I would get more out of a day of exploring the town and surroundings. By sheer luck I ended up on a bus that was going to a town on the outskirts that sits right up next to the Alps. There's a tram that goes to a peak (5,000 feet from nearly sea level) in 8 minutes. Thinking that would be cool, I took the tram and expected to take some pictures at the top, get a drink and a snack, then head back to town for some more sights. I LOVE the town. At the peak I did just that, and then realized people were coming from trails that were relatively hidden. Long story short, I hiked for over 5 hours, linked up with a family from Oregon that was also stunned to have found such a gem that wasn't advertised (perhaps on purpose), and we found an ice cave where there was a guide but it was definitely not a tourist destination. I cannot wait to show you pictures. It was 4 degrees celsius inside the cave, and it's the kind of place that would definitely be shut down by the U.S. for all sorts of safety violations. I am sunburned and exhausted, but I've never had such a surprisingly amazing adventure (except perhaps the cave tour in P.R.). I am considering canyoning tomorrow, and if that does not pan out I will head to either Vienna or Hungary, which was recommended by several teachers I met today from Australia.
Although I liked it, I am so glad to be out of Munich.
Hope you're all doing well!
Casey
No comments:
Post a Comment